Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas




Well another magical Christmas has come and gone.  As much as I love the holidays I must admit that I am a bit relieved that the chaos has passed and things are starting to get back to "normal".  Let's take a jog down memory lane and review shall we?

Let's start on Christmas Eve at the annual Ottley Christmas Extravaganza!  This year we were at Kolette and Kenny's house and a good time was had by all.  See the Christmas cheer on everyone's face?



Now Grammy does not take Christmas carols lightly and every year she holds several practices before the big day.  There are all sorts of musical instruments, sheet music and harmonies to be attended to so that we can all sound damn darn comparable to The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Please enjoy the following images of the family singing.


"you go girl!"



fa la la la la la la la la



"let's sing the next song in a round!"







Even the infants and children are required to know their parts so they don't bring the rest of us down.



Now please enjoy more images of people "singing".






And now for a section I like to call "Precious moments at the Ottley Family Christmas Eve Extravaganza 2009".  Rolls right off your tongue doesn't it?





And now for a brief intermission before the next part of our program which will include Christmas Eve at home with the Mendenhall's.  Please be sure to turn off all cell phones and be in your seat before the curtain rises.
{Please hum an elevator version of Jingle Bells now}



.... jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...
.
.
.
.
.
Ok and we're back!  I would like to set this up by reminding you that all these pictures are Christmas Eve after the Ottley Family Extravaganza.  You're probably wondering why we're opening presents on Christmas Eve and not on Christmas morning. Well that's because my darling husband Mike has never been able to contain his excitement and wait until the morning so we always end up opening them the night before.  I even have to go so far as to hide his presents at my parents home because he can't be trusted and will open anything he finds immediately.  But I digress and this is a subject we shall approach another time. So on with the show!

Sugar and Roxy politely taking their presents.

Sugar about 45 seconds later after she has literally opened her presents.




As you can see Ryder made out quite nicely and I think she really enjoyed the variety or beautiful wrapping paper I chose.
I'm sorry did you think this was the end?  Yeah... it's not.  Now let's mozy on to Christmas morning!

We started off bright and early at the Chavez household.  And I do mean early!  Notice that it is still pitch black outside.
Crap I just realized I left out one of the best parts that happened between the Ottley Extravaganza and Mendenhall presents madness...  Do you think I should start all over from scratch or just insert that part here?  Huh, you say you don't care.  Fine.



Ok, ok wait one second.  Rewind in your mind and pretend that you're still reading about Christmas Eve.   I must say that this year my dad proved that the old saying is true and with age comes wisdom.  This year he thought of a fantastic gift for my mom...all...by...himself.  Seriously.
.
.
.
.
.

Meet Daisy.



Ok where were we?  Oh yes Christmas morning.

Good thing my mom is pretty good at picking out gifts as well.

Remember the thrill of opening socks?  Me too.
Now let's fast forward (because this post is getting freaking long and I want to go to bed) a ways and go over to Mike's family.


I think this look on Chloe's face pretty accurately describes how I was feeling too.

Ok now we're going back to the Chavez home to finish off the day.





Alrighty then.  So to round off the day Josh and Nate had a "jam session" with the bongos and guitar, there was some Beatles Rock Band played, and lots of family bonding.

We laughed, we cried, we were getting ready to call it a day when something really special happened.  Are you ready for this?  Gather your family around close and try to vividly picture this in your mind.

 I'll set the scene for you.  Ryder and I are sitting on the couch and the whole family is in close quarters playing on the Wii.  My 8 year old brother Jake is close by and couldn't be happier.  What a perfect day, surely nothing could put a damper on our Christmas Spirit.  Then it happened.

Ryder straight up puked all over the place.  Like Linda Blair from The Exorcist projectile vomit.  I was covered, Ryder was covered, my mom's hair was covered and just a splash got on Jake.

You know that scene in the movie Stand By Me where they're at the fair and one kid pukes and it starts a chain reaction?  Yeah that totally happened.  Jake took off running down the hall dry heaving but he didn't quite make it to the bathroom.

Fortunately Jake and Ryder are the only ones that lost their Christmas dinner that night, I fear it could have been much worse.  What a fond Christmas memory that is.  I still smile whenever I think of it.  I'm sure Jake does too.

If you made it this far I'd like to congratulate you on a job well done and say you deserve some sort of prize.  I don't have one to give you, but I think you deserve one.  So until next year, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!


Xoxo,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bountiful, UT, United States
I am the mother of 2 beautiful little girls and 2 spoiled rotten dogs as well as the wife of a handsome man with a "perfect jaw structure".