Tuesday, May 17, 2011

This Little Piggy...

Did you know that I have always wanted to have a cute little pig as a pet?  It's true.  There's something about that pink (and often spotted skin) that just melts my heart.

IMG_3122

Did you know pigs are very intelligent and learn quickly? They pick up tricks faster than dogs. Pigs rank #4 in animal intelligence behind chimpanzees, dolphins and elephants. Piglets learn their names by two to three weeks of age and respond when called.


IMG_3123


Pigs are very social animals. They form close bonds with each other and other species. Pigs enjoy close contact and will lie close together when resting. Pigs use their grunts to communicate with each other.


IMG_3124


Pigs have a great sense of smell. Their powerful but sensitive snout is a highly developed sense organ. Pigs also have a great field of vision, because their eyes are on the sides of their heads.



Pigs have four toes on each hoof, but only walk on two toes per foot.


A mature pig has 44 teeth.


A pig can run a 7 minute mile.


Fascinating right?!  



IMG_3125



Just look at my little piggy Sugar.  Isn't she precious?  It took me years to fatten her up and get her just right, but I think it was worth all the time and effort!


IMG_3130



Don't tell her she's not really a pig though, because I've been calling her that for quite some time now and if she found out otherwise it might hurt her feelings. She's kind of sensitive.




Xoxo,

Emily









1 comment:

  1. You had me going Emily, I honestly thought you might have got a pig. Look at you being all informative and stuff, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Bountiful, UT, United States
I am the mother of 2 beautiful little girls and 2 spoiled rotten dogs as well as the wife of a handsome man with a "perfect jaw structure".